Wednesday, June 1, 2011

What Is It Like?

So recently many of my friends have been asking me the same question-"How is it going with two kids under 2 and is it hard?' Hee hee!! That is the most popular question of the past few months and it just makes me smile. I had to pause and think quite carefully before I answered that one the first time. What I wanted to say was "yes, it is way different than having one, and Chris and I tend to drink a lot more!!" HA!! LOL! :) But in all seriousness....I really did have to think through my response. :)

Fortunately I have a lot of friends that have 2 to 3 kiddos so they really have helped to mentor me along the way. I have been very appreciative of all of the advice and ideas that they have shared with me. You ladies rock, and many of the things that you guys have told us have really helped us to keep our sanity these last few months. :) I figured I would wait a little while to write this post..until I had just a slight bit more experience in this new world. Now that my kiddos are almost 4 months and 21 months, I think I have enough amunition to get started. :)

So for all of my friends who have one child right now and are contemplating having #2....here is what I would say:

1) There is really no way to put this gently.....it is one crazy, wild, incredible ride. :) I would say that having 2 kids under two or threee years old is kinda of like signing up for the nutty farm..but in a fun way. :) HA! :) It is similiar to how it goes when you have your first child-even if everyone in the world gives you thoughts and advice, you don't really understand it until you do it. :)

2) If an unclean house sends you to over the edge.....I would suggest strapping on some enormous big girl boots and getting ready to wade through it. :)

3) If you are worried about having to do gobs and gobs of laundry.......you should be. :)

4) If you have a fear that one of your kiddos is probably always going to be crying......well, they might be but you learn to tune it out. :)

5) If you like to sleep a lot and get your naps in on a regular basis.....I would suggest waiting awhile for #2. :)

6) If you are concerned about how you will cook dinner at night for your family......go ahead and plan that you probably will not be able to do that too often. :)

7) If you get stressed out if you don't get a shower everyday....get ready to smell A LOT!

8) If you like to keep your sanity....go ahead and hold off on having that second one. :)

9) If you are ok with being exhausted all the time but also living an adventurous and "all hands on deck" life.....then this is for you!

10) If you like to ever have dinner with your spouse in the evenings in a calm, quiet environment.......then don't take this step right now. :)

11) If you worry a lot about how you will fit it all in during the day........you should, and you need to really practice up on your prioritizing skills. :)

12) If you are concerned that you won't have any free time for yourself......you need to probably go ahead and plan for that b.c it is 2 on 2 at that point. :)

13) If you dont like being late to just about everything.....you will need to go ahead and set every clock you own to be about 15 min ahead. :)

14) If you dont like controlled or uncontrolled chaos in the car.......forget about it. :)

15) If you are worried that about how you can love the 2nd child as much as the first........dont worry, it all works out! You will be madly in love with both of them! :)

16) If you are stressing over things such as will the first child be jealous of the 2nd.........you are going to have to let go of that.

So those are the first things that come to mind when I think about being a mom of two under 2. The best part of all of it is that your crazy wonderful life will never be the same, and everything is a season! :) Even though some of the days can be exhausting and quite crazy, you just have to put one foot in front of the other and trust that God will take care of the rest. And He always will. :) Plus you have some precious little munchkins that make it all worthwhile along the way! :)

1 comment:

  1. I will have to come back and read this whenever we start thinking about #2! :)

    ReplyDelete