Friday, January 8, 2010

First Week Of School.....

This week was a little bit of a rough week for me, as I think it probably is for most moms in this situation. It was Braden's first week of daycare, or as we call it "school". :) We were so blessed to have been able to keep him at home with us for the first 4 1/2 months of his sweet little life but we knew this was coming at some point. Monday, Jan 4th was the big day...........

The funniest part is that of course I was much more upset by it than Braden was!! He adjusted really well, and every day that I picked him up he was smiling. So he is smiling, I am crying...you know the drill! HA! :)

Now, I have been thinking about this daycare business since I first found out I was pregnant...and even more once I put down the deposit to reserve his spot way back in March of 2009....at the end of my first trimester. I had heard good things about the center, and some of my friends have been taking their kids there for quite some time....and have really seemed to like it. They all spoke very highly of the lady that runs the infant room, and said she was just wonderful with the kiddos. I had also been wrestling with myself a lot about being a stay at home mom vs. heading back to work. I think that I am a better mom if I am able to still pursue my career in some form or fashion. That does not have to mean 40 hours per week by any means, and it can take on a lot of different looks...but I feel like there would be a void there if I was a stay at home mom 100%, (especially after 11 years at the same company). However, there are also days where I think that being a stay at home mom would be very nice....and it is on those days especially that I do not want drop him off at school!! I know that I have talked to many of you about this over the past few months...so thank you so much for listening. :)

There are so many pros and cons to both options. I love that if he was here with me all day that I could watch everything new that he does. That is so exciting!! I also love that I would be the one taking care of him, and I would not have to entrust his care to anyone else. I like that I could keep him away from all of those icky germs (since I am a germ phobe and all-ha!!). And I like that I would not have to deal with that guilt of wondering if someone else is raising my baby for me. :(

On the other hand...there are things that I like about daycare too. I really like that Braden has scheduled activities and gets to play all day with little people his size. :) I like that they keep him engaged and he is always learning. I also like that he is getting socialized with at least 7 other little ones, and that is fun. :) They take pics of him with his new friends and do art projects. It is so cute. :) I also like that I am able to have a little freedom during the day to get some things done that are just hard to do with a 4 1/2 month old. I know why mothers run to Mothers Day Out programs now! Totally get it! :)

So I have played the pros and cons game for at least a year now...and at least for right now Braden is going to school and we think he is really liking it. :) I pray that God will continue to lead us down the path that we need to go when it comes to my career and our little man. :) I have no doubt that he will. :)

Just a couple of pics of him on his first two days.. :) He knows he is going to go and have some fun but he is trying to hide his excitement from his Dad and I...so we don't get sad. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment