Tuesday, April 19, 2011

2 Months Old And Growing Strong...

Mr. Brant turned 2 months old on April 14th. :) It sure does seem like a lot has happened in our life in that short amount of time. The most depressing part is that most of my maternity leave is already over...and I am looking at being back at work very soon. Boo! :( I am so not ready for that part, as the NICU stay pretty much cut my maternity leave in half.

At his 2 month well check, these were his stats:
Weight-6 lbs 7 oz (2nd percentile)
Height-18 inches (2nd percentile)

Hey, at least he is on the growth chart at all for as early as he was born....right? That is an accomplishment!! :) We are proud of you littlest B! :)

He was really only supposed to be about a week old at that appt (since my due date was April 5th)..so that sounds about right. If he would have been born on time with those measurements he would have been much higher up there on the charts. They compare him to other babies his age even though he came 7 weeks early.

We took him back today for his 2nd Synagis shot (RSV vaccine). You have to qualify for it, and it has to be during RSV season (which ends at the end of April). Usually if you are a tiny preemie like Brant then you qualify (which is awesome)...especially with an older brother (aka "germ magnet") running around the house! :) At that appt on the 19th we weighed him again, and just 5 days later he was already 6 lbs 13oz. They said he is growing at rocket speed, and we LOVE to hear that!! He is gaining about 1.5 oz per day where the average for a full term baby is only 1 oz per day, and a preemie is only .5 oz per day. Way to break records Brant!! :) Hopefully you will be to 10-12 lbs in no time! :)

We put him on some acid reflux medicine b.c he seems to have a few of those signs. Braden was on it too so it might run in the family. I want to keep every ounce of food in this little man, so the medicine will help with any spitting up, etc. Looks like the vitamins and iron that he is on are doing their job too. Hallelujah! :)

He has such a funny personality..he is so sweet and he can be a little fiesty man sometimes too. It cracks me up to see this tiny baby wailing louder than kids that are much older than him. I mean he can be LOUD!! They say babies that are growth restricted like Brant are fighters b.c they fought for every ounce of nutrients that they could in the womb. I could not have stated it better! :) A fighter...no doubt. :)

I have been having major deja vu as I have been doing all of the same things that I just did a year and a 1/2 ago....all over again. Braden and Brant are pretty similiar in that they both love to eat...and you do not mess with their food. :) Neither one of them have liked baths as an infant...and both of them have bawled their eyes out when it was time to be changed (diapers, clothes, etc). They both do well when they are swaddled, and are both pretty big fans of sleeping (yay!!). Gotta love it! :) We are back to buying lots of Mylicon and washing tons of burp cloths and clothes per week. Just when I had started to forget about a few of these things...they are back! HA! :)

It is so strange this time around b.c some things have been so much easier and some things have been so much harder. It has been easier having a newborn and already knowing what to do. It is nice to not have to stress out about EVERYTHING, and it is nice to have not had to call the pediatrician about anything after hours in the first two months! HA! :) The hard part has been not knowing where Brant is really supposed to be developmentally, and trying to track his progress, schedule, feeding, and sleeping alongside other babies his age. Since there are really no books that tell us exactly where a preemie needs to be at what point, we just use the range of somewhere between a newborn and 8-9 weeks. Kina crazy, huh? For those of you that have kids, you know that there is a huge difference in a baby that is just born, and one that is 2-3 months old. I am sure that gap will close over time but that has been the biggest struggle.

It is also crazy when folks look at Braden and say "He is so big!!"...as he is in the 95th percentile, and then they see Brant and they say "He is soooo small!!", and barely on the growth charts yet. Anytime we go anywhere and a stranger sees Brant, they HAVE to comment. They are mesmerized with him....but maybe it is just b.c he is a sweet little newborn baby. The question that almost always follows is "How old is he?" Ugh...I hate that question already. Mainly b.c you really cannot win. If you say he is a week or two old then they look at you like you are smoking the crack pipe for having a brand new baby out in public that early. If you tell them that he is really 8-9 weeks old then they have one million questions that they want you to answer about how early he was, how he is growing, what it is like to have a preemie, comments on how small he is again, etc. Exhausting!! Why can't anyone just say "Your kids look so normal, healthy, and adorable?" I would love to hear that instead. :) Brant is really going to surprise them when he climbs up those growth charts and ends up being the same size as other kids his age. :)

Having two kids has been exhausting but filled with so much joy. I love watching the boys together, and Braden is SOOO in love with Brant. WOW!! It has been so amazing to see. :) I have never seen a little boy want to hold his brother so much...or one at 19 months talk about his baby brother like he does. Neat stuff! :) I thought it was going to be SUPER hard..but it has not been as crazy as I set myself up for so that is good. Is it crazy? Yes. But is it as crazy as I had made it out to be in my head when I was pregnant? No. :) God is good and he is taking care of us and my nerves. :) I think the whole family is benefitting from that! :)

I am two months old! :) I am out of my preemie carseat and into my regular one!! YAY!! :) I really don't like baths....but I decided to remain calm for a minute during this one. You can tell that I am trying to decide when I want to scream again! :) We love you sweet Brant!! You are our miracle baby! Happy 2 months munchkin! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment